Friday, May 3, 2013

Things of Inspiration, Pt. 3

Donna Coleman - Piano Sonata No. 2 (Charles Ives)

Donna was my regular teacher during the period 2009-2012. She helped me reinvent my piano technique after I developed intersection syndrome (a kind of RSI) in both my arms. Learning from her has deepened my understanding and love for the piano and music in general. This recording of Ives' most well-known piano work is made all the more significant for me knowing how deep Donna researches and considers everything.


Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

I've only just started listening to this, but I'm enjoying the playful strangness on this album. It keeps it from becoming over self-concious. Talking Heads was a band I was into in highschool; I remember being struck by how strange they all looked and sounded . . .


Dr. John - Locked Down

I love Dr. John's album Gumbo, everytime I hear it it makes me feel good . . . Locked Down might not be so straight-down-the-line funky, but I think the rhythm-section playing and overall production is fantastic.


Magnet - Steve Magnusson

To me this sounds like an album that has been laboured over, in the best possible way. The attention to detail, in the playing and production, makes this album an instant favourite of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment